Fish oil supplements rich in omega-3 fatty acids and DHA offer many health benefits. Thankfully, we now have another option: algae. Instead of turning to catching or farming fish for the sole purpose of producing fish oil so we can live our best life, a plant-based algae supplement offers sustainability that we can feel good about on another level.
What is DHA?
Docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, is vital to the human body. It helps make up the cells of our brains, eyes, skin, organs, and nearly every piece of our physical structure. As infants, we receive large amounts of DHA through our mother’s breast milk. Because not all babies have this option, infant formula is heavily fortified with DHA. No matter the source, DHA supports healthy brain development and much more as they grow quickly.
Our need for DHA doesn’t stop as we age. Our bodies are constantly growing through childhood and teenage years. Then, as we age, we produce new cells to replace old ones. Ideally, the faster we can create new cells, the healthier we will feel.
DHA can be obtained from a healthy diet that includes foods rich in fatty acids like cold-water fish. It’s often added to some foods, especially for children who benefit most. Doctors may suggest taking fish oil or another omega-3 supplement if a diet is not enough. Fish oil is not the only option now, and a more sustainable plant-based form of omega-3 supplement is available in algae.
Health Benefits of DHA
Because DHA makes up so much of the human body–as much as 60% of all the polyunsaturated fatty acids found in the retina alone–you can imagine how increasing the amount of DHA in your diet can affect your overall wellbeing.
- Heart Health: With lowered blood pressure, increased circulation, better cholesterol levels, and suppressed fat production, those taking DHA supplements may have decreased risk for heart disease.
- Eye Health: In several studies, DHA has proven to lower pressures within the eye, which is a strong indicator for glaucoma. Those at risk for glaucoma may benefit from a DHA supplement.
- Mental Health: In addition to brain development as infants, DHA may slow cognitive decline as we age and help those with symptoms of ADHD, depression, and other mental illnesses.
- Joint Health: DHA is known to reduce inflammation throughout the body, profoundly affecting joint swelling. This can help those with chronic joint pain caused by arthritis or injury.
- Pregnancy Health: Infants showed better neurological development and visual acuity when taken throughout pregnancy. When taken during the last few weeks of pregnancy, DHA may help to prevent pre-term labor.
Algae vs. Fish
Research by NASA in the 1908s led to the discovery of marine algae containing high levels of DHA. These levels, comparable to those in fish, can now be grown and harvested more sustainably than harvesting or reproducing fish for the same purpose of manufacturing omega-3 supplements. Plant-based DHA offers the same health benefits but is much more sustainable, cruelty-free, and vegan.
Ingredients (And Why!)
In addition to 100mg of DHA in each dose of the Omega-3 supplement, you’ll find other ingredients specifically designed to boost its effectiveness and help you feel your best.
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid): Along with reducing inflammation and supporting heart and joint health, EPA helps to improve immune function
- Other Omega3s: There are many other Omega3 fatty acids included in the supplement, all of which help support overall wellness and health
- Omega6 Fatty Acids: These are sourced from the naturally occurring fatty acids in iWi AlmegaPL algae and help to support normal growth and development
- Omega7 Fatty Acids: This unsaturated fatty acid supports heart health by reducing insulin resistance, fighting inflammation, and may also fight obesity by suppressing fat production
- Omega9 Fatty Acids: Omega9 fatty acids also support heart health but also mental and reproductive health while increasing energy levels
- Polar Lipids: This ingredient helps to boost the effectiveness of the others by making it easier for the body to process and absorb them
- Chlorophyll: Chlorophyll plays two roles, including body detoxification, healing, energy, and immune health but also keeping the supplement shelf-stable and ready for use.
A More Effective, Sustainable Option
For decades, taking an omega-3 supplement was the same, with very few options available. With new technology and a desire to offer something better, iWi created something different that is better for the environment both at sea and on land. Cold water fish are left in the oceans where they play a large part in the delicate ecosystem, and farming practices are more effective with greater production and fewer resources needed on land that is remote and not in high demand.
iWi supplements, sourced from high-quality, nutrient-dense algae, are a more sustainable and effective way to experience the many health benefits of DHA. Replenish your DHA today and try iWi Omega-3 algae supplements.