We already know that fruits are an essential part of our diet, but did you know that adding them to your dog’s diet can reap a bunch of great health benefits?
More specifically, we are referring to red fruits, which are classified by the color of their flesh. While some fruits aren’t good for dogs, there is a wide range of different red fruits that can be very beneficial to your dog’s health and well-being.
So, what are these fruits? Let’s look at four different red fruits that are great for dogs, why fruits are good for dogs, and even how much of these tasty treats you should add to their diet.
Are Fruits Good For Dogs?
Yes, just like how they are good for humans, fruits can be very good for dogs. Fruits are packed with fiber, natural sugars, vitamins, and antioxidants, all of which are good for your dog’s health. However, keep in mind that not all fruits that are safe for humans will be safe for dogs.
For example, while we enjoy avocados for breakfast a lot, dogs should never have avocados. Another example is grapes and raisins, and while we don’t know why they are toxic for dogs, they are known to cause serious health complications for dogs.
So, while they can benefit your dog’s health, make sure to practice caution when feeding fruits to your dog. Make sure to always do the research on what fruits are safe for your dog and always consult your vet before adding anything to your pet’s diet.
Best Red Fruits To Feed Your Dog
So, now that you know that some fruits can be beneficial to dogs, it’s time to get down to the specifics. Here are a couple of different red fruits that are safe and healthy for your dog to eat!
As the saying goes, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. We’ve been using this saying to promote apples for humans for a long time now, but the same goes for dogs as well. Apples contain a lot of vitamins and fiber that are good for dogs, and since they’re readily available in most grocery stores, it won’t be hard to find a bunch of different apples to feed your furry friend.
However, remember to remove the core and seeds of the apple before feeding it to your dog. Additionally, it’s recommended to chop up the apple into bite-sized slices to reduce the risk of choking.
While this isn’t exactly one fruit but instead a family of fruits, berries can be very healthy for dogs. However, not all red berries will be good for dogs. For example, while cranberries and strawberries are very healthy and delicious treats for most pups, cherries can be highly toxic for dogs, so it’s best to avoid them.
When it comes to red-colored berries, cranberries and strawberries are the best options for dogs. Additionally, some non-red berries that are good for dogs include blackberries and blueberries.
There’s a whole guide to feeding your dog cranberries which you can read here: whatthepup.spotandtango.com/can-dogs-eat-cranberries/
While they aren’t red on the outside, watermelons are red on the inside and are great for dogs. Aside from their sweet flavor, watermelons are mostly water, which could be a tasty way of hydrating your dog during the hotter days.
Additionally, watermelons have a bunch of vitamins which make them great treats for puppies and grown-up dogs alike.
Tomatoes are another red fruit that is good for dogs. However, the reason we’re only listing down red tomatoes as good options for dogs is that unripe tomatoes (green ones) should generally be kept away from dogs.
With that said, red, ripe, and juicy tomatoes are completely non-toxic for dogs and could serve as a great snack and occasional treat.
How Much Fruit Should I Give My Dog?
When feeding your dog a variety of fruits, keep in mind that these are still treats. So, they should only comprise a maximum of 10% of your dog’s diet, with the other 90% coming from their regular meals.
On top of that, most fruits, especially red ones have a lot of sugar. While sugar makes these fruits taste very sweet and tasty for most dogs, too much sugar is a bad thing. If your dog has too much sugar, it can lead to obesity, poor oral health, and a host of other problems that can be avoided by giving them fruits only in moderation.
Additionally, it’s best to consult your veterinarian before adding anything new to a dog’s diet to avoid any potential risks.
Consider Reading about: CBD For Pets
So, those are a couple of red fruits that you may find in the supermarket that is beneficial for your dog. But while these fruits offer a wide range of health benefits, keep in mind that it’s always best to only give your dog fruits in moderation.
That way, they can reap all the health benefits while avoiding some of the risks of eating too much sugar such as obesity and oral health problems.