Cyber security is a software application for protecting devices, data, or systems from cyber attacks. These cyber-attacks usually target accessing, destroying sensitive data, stealing money from customers, or interrupting business. Implementing an effective cyber security system is essential as it has become more and more challenging because the number of devices has outnumbered the number of people, and hackers are getting more creative.
On an individual basis, everything we do online leaves so much of a digital footprint that could result in cyber threats like identity theft, loss of data, extortion of money, and many other things. These threats can also affect critical infrastructures like hospitals, power plants, and financial services companies. Protecting these organizational details is very important to keep society functioning.
Types of cyber security threats
Cyber Phishing is a type of cybercrime in which a user is contacted via email, call, or text by someone presenting themselves as a legitimate person to fool individuals into providing ultra-sensitive data such as identity proofs or card information in financial loss.
- In ransomware, criminals hack the information and threaten to leak it publicly. In return for paying them extortion money, the owners release the data. If denied, all the sensitive data could be sold or lost permanently. Sometimes, even if you pay the money there is no guarantee the data will be secure.
- Malware is a short form for malicious software (or blanket term for trojan, viruses, and worms). It is a kind of file or a program that can damage or destroy computer networks and transfer the device’s control to another person.
- SQL injections are Structured query language injections that mostly occur when attackers try to access information. Generally, they hack into databases using codes that work as an injection simply by submitting malicious code into a vulnerable website search box.
Benefits of Implementing Cyber Security
- Protects the business from cyber threats– Businesses run on the trust of customers or consumers. It is very important to protect your website from malicious viruses and information leakage. The best IT companies can provide digital protection so that your employees, customers, and vendors can easily and safely access your website or application when needed without facing cyber threats.
- Protects data and personal info – Data is one of the most precious assets of the 21st century. If someone hacks your customer or employee, they can use the information for the wrong purposes. They can also sell personal details to data-hungry companies or even criminals. Almost 80% of information breaches happen because of unreliable third-party vendors, so shutting down vendor data leaks can avoid most data breaching points. You can learn how to protect data by signing up for a Great Learning online cyber security course.
- Provides a safe environment for employees to work – Not only harmful viruses but junk files and time bomb viruses can slow your network of computers or even a single desktop which can hamper your productivity and lead to potential threats to the organization.
- Ensures high Productivity – A good quality cyber security software provides strict security measures such as improved firewalls, virus scanning, and automated backups. Stress levels will decrease significantly, and productivity will not get hampered.
- Prevents Your Website from Going Down – It’s a nightmare for a business when a website has gone down. It can make customers lose trust in the website or result in missed transactions that can incur heavy losses. DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) type attacks affect your site so that a network of systems sends a high volume of fake traffic to take the site down. So, security protocols should be up-to-date to prevent vulnerable attacks.
- Blocks Spyware – Spyware can be defined as a malicious virus or software designed to enter your computer device, gather data about your users and forward it to a third-party vendor without anyone’s consent. According to cyber security experts, this is the worst for any business website. Therefore, having cyber security protocols and plans can help in preventing spyware from being installed.
- Prevents Adware – Adware is not so dangerous, but the most annoying virus that shows irrelevant and unwanted ads or pop-ups can have a very bad impact on productivity. It can also act as a gateway for viruses if you click on one advert, and it could invite other harmful viruses.
- (WAF) Web App Firewall – WAF is used to protect web applications by monitoring, filtering and blocking any harmful HTTP/S websites so that we can get uninterrupted browsing.
- DNS Tunneling – DNS tunnelling communicates non-DNS traffic through port 53 using the DNS protocol. It uses DNS to send HTTP and other protocol traffic. DNS tunnelling can be used for a variety of acceptable reasons. However, there are several reasons to employ DNS Tunneling VPN services for nefarious purposes. They can mask outbound traffic like DNS, allowing data to be shared over the internet to be hid. DNS queries are altered for malicious purposes to exfiltrate data from a hacked system to the attacker’s infrastructure. It can also be used for callbacks from the attacker’s infrastructure to a compromised system for command and control.
The industry has a bright future because of the ongoing and escalating cyber security challenges. Because there aren’t enough qualified people to fill cyber security jobs, professionals should have no trouble finding work. Microsoft announced plans on Oct. 28, 2021, to decrease the cyber security workforce shortfall by 2025 by partnering with community schools across the United States and providing free resources.
If you’re seeking the ideal platform to launch your career in cyber security, the advanced cyber security course offered by Great Learning and Great Lakes is the best option. Numerous platforms provide information security courses. Still, the Great Learning Advanced Cyber Security Course will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to secure networks, secure electronic assets, intercept and resist attacks, give the customers privacy assurance, and establish secure support.