- Skin appears duller and becomes less elastic as you age.
- Collagen levels in the skin deplete over time.
- Having a daily skincare routine can help maintain the health of your skin.
- Many at-home remedies can help prevent and get rid of wrinkles, but for severe cases, you may need to go to a dermatologist.
Why does our skin lose elasticity and radiance?
If you’re concerned about maintaining a youthful appearance, then your skin is the place to start. As you get older, it’s natural for your skin to change. You may find that it’s sagging, more fine lines and wrinkles appear, and it has an overall duller look. But what exactly causes these changes to happen?
Your skin is made up of a protein called collagen. Collagen is what keeps your skin elastic. As you get older, the level of collagen begins to lower, resulting in a loss of elasticity.
The skin may begin to appear less radiant because of a lower cell turnover rate. Throughout the day, your skin sheds dead cells on the surface layer, revealing new, healthy skin underneath. But as you get older, this process begins to slow, leading to a loss of radiance.
Fortunately, there are ways to improve both the elasticity and radiance of your skin.
11 Ways to Improve or Restore Skin Elasticity
- Use a Collagen Supplement. Since collagen is the protein that allows your skin to stay elastic. Adding in a collagen supplement will help your skin maintain its firmness.
Taking an oral collagen supplement can help deliver this protein to your skin. This, in turn, will keep it looking young, healthy, and firm.
- Wash Your Face. If you’re not already, you should wash your face every day. Washing your face with a gentle cleanser will help get rid of dirt, debris, and sweat that’s built up on your facial skin. Washing these away will reveal healthier, younger skin.
Aim to wash your face twice daily. Once in the morning when you wake up, and then again at night before you go to sleep.
- Exfoliate. A slower cell turnover rate can lead to your skin looking duller and losing its luminance. If this is the reason that your skin isn’t looking its best, then using an exfoliant will help.
You have the choice between chemical exfoliants and physical exfoliants. Neither type is better than the other, so it comes down to personal preference. Try to exfoliate your skin twice a week as a natural remedy for wrinkles.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. Keeping your skin properly hydrated will help your skin retain its elasticity and keep it looking bright and healthy.
Do your research when you’re looking for a new moisturizer. Look for ingredients proven to help provide and retain moisture, like hyaluronic acid. You should always moisturize after you’re done washing and exfoliating your face.
- Look for an Anti-Wrinkle cream. If you’re already showing signs of fine lines and wrinkles, then you may want to check out some of the top-rated anti-wrinkle creams available on the market.
Beverly Hills MD Dermal Repair Complex reviews indicate that this product may be useful for anyone looking to reduce the appearance of their wrinkles. This rejuvenation treatment contains skin-boosting ingredients that may help improve your complexion.
Moreover, do your research and read up on online Beverly Hills MD Dermal Repair Complex reviews reviews to see if a product like this might work for you and your skin.
- Apply Sunscreen. No matter the season, sunscreen is your best friend.
One of the things that can affect the health and appearance of your skin is your exposure to the sun. While sitting outside on a warm summer day feels nice, the sun’s UV rays can penetrate your skin and damage it, leading to a loss of both elasticity and radiance.
Make sure to purchase a high-quality sunscreen of at least 30 SPF and applying it every day to help protect your skin. And that means in the winter too!
- Drink Water. Hydrating your skin from the outside with quality moisturizers and top-rated anti-wrinkle creams will help improve your skin’s clarity and elasticity.
But you also need to think about what’s going into your body. Make sure that you’re drinking enough water throughout the day to help skin appear brighter and smoother. Consider investing in a water bottle that you can carry with you throughout the day.
- Eat Right. Just like staying hydrated, having a healthy diet will keep your skin looking bright and clear. A good, nutrient-rich diet is a great skin aging
Avoid junk foods and aim to increase the number of foods you eat that contain antioxidants. These will help protect your skin from free radicals in the air.
Consuming enough protein will also help maintain the amount of collagen in your skin. You can get protein from animal sources, of course, but plenty of plant sources like lentils, beans, and nutritional yeast also contain protein.
- Get Enough Sleep. If you want to keep your skin healthy and radiant, then you need to make sure you’re sleeping enough.
When you don’t get enough sleep, your body produces more of a hormone called cortisol. This hormone is also known as the stress hormone. Having too much cortisol can affect the structure of your skin.
Plus, when you don’t get enough sleep, your skin tends to look duller and less clear in general. Aim to get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night to keep skin looking its best.
- Stop Smoking and Drinking. Smoking and excessive drinking can have a huge negative impact on the structure of your skin. Both drinking and smoking will make your skin appear duller, and will affect the levels of collagen it has.
While it’s perfectly fine to enjoy a drink every once in a while, try not to make it a regular habit if you want to maintain your skin’s health. Likewise, if you’ve been looking for a sign to quit smoking, then this is it.
- Visit Your Dermatologist. There are lots of at-home natural remedies you can use to help maintain your skin’s health. But sometimes, you need professional help. If your wrinkles are quite deep, then discussing remedies like laser therapy or dermabrasion might be beneficial.
If you want to keep your skin looking young, then you must know how to treat it right. Practice the tips we’ve shown above, follow a good skincare routine, and stay conscious about what you put into your body. Finally, make sure that you’re eating healthy, using the right products for your skin, and maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle.