Making soft water drinkable is not odorous since technology has managed to introduce various inventions that help filter sodium ions from water and make it drinkable for people with sodium concerns. Following are the proven methods to make soft water drinkable.
Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter
Reverse osmosis is a water purification filter that uses partially semi–permeable membrane, to remove unwanted minerals with a pressure when it is applied through it. And the water flows to less concentrated side of the filter. It removes hard containment from the water along with excess salt and makes it drinkable for those with health concerns.
A Few Facts You May Consider As Disadvantages Of Reverse Osmosis
- the process is very slow when it is used as whole house water system. The filter can take all day to be able to provide enough supply to the whole house that gives grounds to many not to go for it.
- they remove most of the other important minerals from the water along with sodium chloride.
- the semi permeable membrane that is used to push water through it and filters the minerals requires maintenance. It needs to be changed after every 12 months and earlier sometimes that actually becomes a work.
- another disadvantage of Reverse Osmosis is that it flushes down up to the 20 gallons of water as the waste for every gallon of fresh water. This just gives another big reason to many not to use it in homes.
It is a membrane based process that works by running an electrical current that works through an electrical current passed to conductors. It transports ions through one semi-permeable membrane to another. That results in separation of high sodium content water into one channel and the low sodium content in another one. This way, this process helps to make softened water drinkable by filtering sodium.
Simply, distillation is a process in which liquids are heated to convert into vapors and then vapors are cooled down back to original liquid. This way, unwanted minerals can be removed from the water, and the process has been in use since the 1st century. Of course the process seems tiring and burdensome but it definitely is a big exception since technology offers much more easily and guaranteed ways that are totally preferable.
Sodium Ions Process
As you know, calcium and magnesium are minerals that cause the hardness of water. These minerals are replaced with sodium by adding a small amount of it in the water. Remember not to add much. And know table salt only contains 40% of salt and the rest is chloride. So it does not have the same effect as sodium ions. You can simply get your hard water into drinkable soft water by this process.
Both sodium and Potassium Chloride can make your soft water drinkable. Adding potassium chloride to water removes up to 90% of sodium present in the water. But the reason sodium chloride is more preferable is because it is a cheaper alternative. Whereas potassium chloride is highly used as medication and agriculture that makes it more expensive. Note that using a high dosage of potassium chloride can be harmful. You must be careful with the usage or better prefer other ways.
How To Choose A Good Water Filter System
As you learned various methods of filtering softened water to make it drinkable, processes like distillation and adding sodium chloride into water are ancient and are if course not used as a home water treatment method, since the world has been introduced to water filters like Reverse Osmosis. Although it is totally up to your personal preference to which one to rely on. However, you must consider the following things before getting your hands on one:
- Buying & maintenance cost, since you would need to keep maintaining it in order to make it last longer and healthier.
- Do get knowledge about the service of the company. As you know they require maintenance, Professional companies’ service includes routine maintenance. Whereas some companies don’t, so you would need to change them yourself. However, In that case go for the ones with easy filter changes.
● Get knowledge about the system’s purification process.
- The electricity usage.
There are various methods that help making softened water drinkable by eliminating sodium chloride, that are totally up to your preference. However, do consider the mentioned disadvantages of them beforehand.